Friday, October 8, 2010

Wasting Away (but not in Margaritaville!)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. – 2 Corinthians 4:16

Is this true for you? Is your body wasting away? Are you losing hope? Are you “being renewed day by day?”

For me, each day I get a little older – the hair I get to keep is getting grayer, my eyes are getting weaker, my feet get a little sorer. Then I look at Sandy – her body was wasting away prematurely, and the medicine she has to take to get better, made parts of her body waste away early, also. It’s easy to become discouraged, to lose hope.

Paul was writing to people who were hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. (verses 8-9)

Each day I go through my devotions, I find these nuggets of truth. I find new meaning in passages I have read before. I find that my mind continues to grow, and my outlook changes from one of discouragement to one of peace and contentment.

Paul continues (verses 17-18): For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

It is not sufficient to say: I have already read the Bible and move on. We need to be in God’s Word daily. Why? Because discouragement and wasting away can occur so slowly that we don’t recognize them. The only way to counter that daily destruction is by a daily renewal of God’s Word, God’s Truth.

Again I ask: Are you “being renewed day by day?” If not, you may be becoming stagnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When posting a comment, you will need to select a "profile" - You can select Name/URL and simply enter your name (so we know who you are!) (you can leave URL blank) or Anonymous and keep your identity secret.